It's no secret that I'm shy - I bang on about it enough on here that's for sure. I was thinking the other day about how being shy affects how I think on a daily basis and I thought this would be a fun post to put together - hopefully you other shy girls will be able to relate and it'll give all you amazingly confident ladies an insight into our heads (or maybe everyone has these thoughts, in which case let me know!)
1. Uh oh, there's a complete stranger making polite conversation with me. What do I say? How can I be friendly? How can I make sure I don't appear rude? OK DO ANYTHING APART FROM LAUGH NERVOUSLY. *Laughs nervously* Dammit, now they think I'm rude.
2. OK, make sure you contribute to this group conversation. Yes there's a lot of people, but surely you've got something interesting to chip in with? OK, how do I even get a word in edgeways when all these people are talking? *Sits silently for five minutes before finally plucking up the courage to contribute and accidentally interrupting someone in the process* Well that's me never contributing to a group conversation again.
3. Oooh there's a new person at work. What can I say to make myself appear friendly and interesting rather than rude and boring? OK they're about to walk past me, time to introduce myself. Or maybe I'll just wait for them to say hi first...
4. Someone just made a joke at me. I need to think of something funny to say back. Come on, THINK... Is it too late to make a comeback ten minutes later now I've finally thought of something I know for certain people will laugh at?
5. There's that really cool person I'd like to be friends with. I'm sure she'll gauge that just by the fact that I'm thinking it, no need to actually make an effort and risk looking like a fool right?
6. *Is asked to contribute something to a meeting at work* Uh oh, people are looking at me. *Turns pink* Now people are looking at me while I'm speaking. *Turns red* Why are people still looking at me even though I've finished? *Goes off the scale of red* I guess they're probably worried about my health bearing in mind the colour my face has gone...
7. I really need to make a hair/doctors/dentist appointment. That involves using the phone... I'll do it another day.
8. I can't wait to get home so I can live in a comfortable bubble where I'm not constantly worrying about what people think of me/what I can say next/whether I seem rude. Phew.
Does anyone else have these thoughts on a daily basis? Any I've missed out?